Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) serves George, Harrison, and Jackson Counties. LIHEAP assists households with low incomes in meeting their immediate home energy needs. The Program helps keep families safe and healthy through initiatives that assist families with energy costs.

Community Action of South Mississippi provides federally funded assistance in managing costs associated with home energy bills, energy crises, weatherization, and energy-related minor home repairs.

LIHEAP can help you stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer through programs that reduce the risk of health and safety problems that arise from unsafe heating and cooling practices.

New Applicants (if LIHEAP, CSBG, or Weatherization services have never been received in the state of Mississippi), will apply for assistance using the Common Web Portal and follow the directions.

Returning clients will make an appointment via our Utility Assistance Online Scheduler.

Clients can also schedule appointment by contacting one of the following locations.  NOTE:  You must make an appointment within the county in which you live.  The calendar fills up quickly,  therefore, call at the beginning of the month to ensure a timely appointment.

Jackson County: 228-285-8070

Harrison County: 228-284-5217

George County: 601-363-0723

Low Income Home Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) serves George, Harrison, and Jackson Counties and provides funds to assist low-income households with water and wastewater bills.  If you need help with your water bill, we can help with that, too.

We have assisted 904 households with water bills totaling $213,587 for an average water bill of $236.

Watch the video to learn more:  LIHWAP Introduction

The following documents must be presented at the time of the appointment:

Income Verification:
  • Award Letter(s): Social Security, SSI, Disability, etc.
  • Pay Stubs (for the previous 30 days)
  • Pension (all retirement income)
  • Unemployment Determination
  • Child Support, TANF Printout
  • Other documents deemed eligible to verify income
  • Zero Income (affidavit must be notarized)
  • Unemployed: must register with the WIN Job Center
  • Self-Employed – must provide receipt of payment for services and/or product, accounting records, and a copy of the IRS Transcript.
Social Security Cards:

Social Security cards are required for all household members.

Valid Photo ID:

*Identification must be presented for all household members 18 years and older.

  • Driver’s License
  • Passport
  • State Issued ID
  • Employment ID
  • Military ID
  • School or College ID
  • Tribal ID
  • Alien Registration / Permanent Residence Card or Temporary Card
  • Residence Verification:
  • Copy of Utility Bill
  • Lease or Rental Agreement
  • Utility Deposit (must have a copy of the application from energy provider establishing account)
  • Mortgage Documents (deeds or taxes)
  • W-9 (Landlord)